Saturday 4 August 2018

Day 122: Housing

One of the strangest and most incomprehensible things about LA is the size of the houses.  Apart from the business distinct which has its obligatory skyscrapers, LA is an unending suburb of bungalows and 2 storey houses.  There are two things that puzzle me:

  1. The comparative size of the lots to the houses.  House's seem to occupy as much as possible of the land leaving very little space for garden.
  2. Los Angeles houses (especially modern ones) are extremely wasteful.  They comprise large rooms, multiple toilets and bathrooms, formal (little used) areas and they often run with constant air conditioning.
California is one of the birthplaces of the environmental movement and yet its largest city is setting a poor example in energy and land conservation.

I'm getting this short, due to continued jet-lag.  Its 9PM and my head has already dropped onto my keyboard twice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 365 (bis) : End!

Well this is it.  After 365 days my blog is finally coming to an end.  I know there have been ups and downs, good and bad, controversial an...