Thursday 9 August 2018

Day 127: Standards

I read in the news today that Donald Trumps parents-in-law just received American Nationality thanks to the fact that their daughter Melania had herself become a US citizen after immigrating here.  This process is called "chain migration" in the US and the current president has publicly spoken (and tweeted) against it many times.  Having double standards (preaching one thing and doing the opposite) is something which I find particularly unacceptable .  Not only is it lying to yourself but it is assuming that others are dumb enough not to notice your internal contradictions.  And yet as I write these lines I realise that possibly it is fundamental human characteristic.  Often the things we say and the rules we make for ourselves are aspirations rather than absolutes:

  • Plastic bags are bad for the environment ... but they are convenient when we forgot to bring our own  
  • Private schools are an unfair privilege... but they are the only option as my local public school has a bad reputation
  • Global warming must be stopped ... but I need a car and electrical ones are not yet practical
  • Cold showers are healthier ... I'll start tomorrow

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 365 (bis) : End!

Well this is it.  After 365 days my blog is finally coming to an end.  I know there have been ups and downs, good and bad, controversial an...