Sunday 8 July 2018

Day 96: Retirement

Sunday Dinner (late snack):

  • Pain des fleurs
  • Tome de brebis aux orties
  • Roquefort
  • Crottin de chèvre
  • Eau
Notice the absence of saucisson, paté, ham or rillettes!

Yesterday the beach we ended the day on was the one in front of R.'s recently acquired beach cottage.  R. is a french friend of my father's who recently arrived in Portugal to take up residence there and spend his semi-retirement watching the sun set over the ocean.  As my dad also moved to Portugal after his retirement it made me wonder where I might live in the future.  Setting aside the fact that I probably won't be able to afford to retire until I'm 90, I do wonder where Fianna and I might move to next.  It's strange that many people (mainly city dwellers) feel the need to retire in a different place to where they may have spent most of their working lives (maybe its part of putting work behind you).  Lets look at my options:

  • Strasbourg or York (where I grew up). I'm pretty sure I would have a hard time convincing Fianna to move to either of those
  • Préfailles (place of my holidays): A little too much family for everyday life 
  • Los Angeles: Very far from Europe and still a big city full of cars
  • Ardèche or Drôme: A bit too close to Fianna's ex
  • Dordogne: A bit too close to my ex
  • Lisbon: Too portuguese 
  • London: Not since Brexit 
  • Tel Aviv: Not until the the palestinian issue is resolved
  • New York: Too expensive and too late
It seems I'm stuck in Paris arguably the most beautiful city in the world with the best food and, hopefully, by the time I retire all ICE vehicles (#10) will have been banned from the city and it will have clean air and noiseless streets (save for the sounds of birds).

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

  2. 'Mountain suicide is a global phenomenon that mental health researchers, forestry officials and those morbid enough to specialize in suicidolgy are trying to figure out'... those are old habits... and people with dementia go walking... i am pretty sure that people do not want to die where they wanted to live... let them go...

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am sorry to have deleted a comment... the problem is, you cannot edit them... which is a pity... the new reply is a simple edition of the old one... not a revision...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Paris has clean hair. Well one learns new things every day !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely! Totally clean hair once we stop polluting.

    ReplyDelete

Day 365 (bis) : End!

Well this is it.  After 365 days my blog is finally coming to an end.  I know there have been ups and downs, good and bad, controversial an...