Monday 27 August 2018

Day 145: Partners

Today was a fasting day!

I had an interesting conversation with one of my blog readers today.  In the spirit of relationship advice columns I will preserve his anonymity by using  an alias. So Robin was telling me that he was mildly annoyed by his partner's tendency not to always voice her opinions on things or events.  It's an interesting question, historically (thanks to religion) women did not have a voice let alone an opinion.  They only obtained the right to vote (and therefore to be heard) during the 20th century.  And yet now we expect couples to be in a real partnership where both parties opinions' will occasionally (if not often) come into conflict.  So how do you resolve this issue?  What is the ideal scenario?  In my 40 years of observation I have seen couples with the man being dominant, and ones where the women is dominant (Sorry I'm not going to talk about LGBTQ couples) and also couples where neither is dominant.  My personal preference (and hopefully experience) is that being equal partners is the best approach.  No one (even me) is always right so its important to be able to confront rather than impose your views and thoughts to get to the best outcome. Having said that the most important thing is for both parties to feel happy within their roles. Sometimes it can be comfortable to just go along with things especially if you have a relaxed nature.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 365 (bis) : End!

Well this is it.  After 365 days my blog is finally coming to an end.  I know there have been ups and downs, good and bad, controversial an...