Friday 10 August 2018

Day 128: Traffic

I am sitting by the sea in San Diego in the amazing private beach house lent to us by our friends T & M.  We came here for their daughter's bat-mitzvah and are spending the weekend.  The trip from Los Angeles to San Diego is 120 miles of 4 lane highways and yet it took us 4 hours.  We left relatively early (2PM) to avoid the traffic!  This was a normal Friday not a bank holiday or special occasion and I understand its always like this.  The  whole journey was practically one big traffic jam.  I don't understand where all these people are going?  Why are so many people driving from one big city on the ocean to another big city on the ocean.  There isn't that much difference between the 2 places.  I'm not sure what would justify spending 4 hours in a car to go from one to the other.  I am notoriously impatient with traffic (this is why I only use scooters in Paris if I have a choice), but are there really people who don't mind being bumper to bumper for 4 hours?   Here I am in one of the richest and most technologically advanced countries in the world and yet it takes me 4 hours to do a journey that would take 30 mins on a TGV in France or a Bullet train in Japan.  And so people in California, the most environmental state in the US, continue to drive and fly around their state while complaining about global warming (I think I may have read a recent blog on double standards)!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 365 (bis) : End!

Well this is it.  After 365 days my blog is finally coming to an end.  I know there have been ups and downs, good and bad, controversial an...