Thursday 30 August 2018

Day 148: Education

Today was a fasting day.

A few days ago I mentioned my ambition to become a Paris slumlord as soon as I'm let go form my present job.  As preparation for my future endeavour I thought I would look into online courses on architecture and/or construction.  A quick google search shows up a plethora of online degrees, masters and certificates from a wide variety of institutions mainly in the US and UK.  This raises the question around the future of universities. How important is it to go to a physical place to get an education as opposed to obtaining the knowledge through online documents, video, webinars, chat groups and skype conference? Considering how proficient the younger generation is in using online tools wouldn't it make sense to drastically reduce the physical presence of students?  All the money being spent on student buildings, amphitheatres and facilities could be redirected to the teaching staff and materials.  Also it would be a welcome advance in democratisation as costs to students would be much lower if they could choose to live anywhere with an appropriate internet connection while studying "at" Harvard, Oxford or the Sorbonne. I think it would be interesting to set-up an online university with the objective of bringing it in the top ten world universities. 

By the way I've signed up to my first online course: It's a 3 Month Certificate called: The Architectural Imagination and it's offered by Harvard University (yes the one in Boston!)




2 comments:

Day 365 (bis) : End!

Well this is it.  After 365 days my blog is finally coming to an end.  I know there have been ups and downs, good and bad, controversial an...