Saturday 25 August 2018

Day 143: Plastic

Fianna and I went to the market this morning to stock up on a few essentials for the weekend.  In keeping with my no meat policy (for another 6 days) I went to the fresh fish stall.  As I was paying the fishmonger put the fish I had chosen in a plastic bag.  I asked if he had another option than plastic.  He said not yet but he was going to move to Kraft paper in the next month (because of the new law banning plastics).  Since the documentary "Plastic Ocean"  came out in 2016 I have noticed an increased awareness of the damage plastics are causing to our environment and in particular to our oceans.  I found it particularly ironic that despite understanding that plastic pollution is causing havoc in ocean life the fishmonger was still using plastic bags to wrap his fish. 

At this point I would like to point out 2 important facts:
  1. As I mentioned in a preceding post (Rockport) I would like to have a house by the sea someday
  2. Having found it easy to avoid meat for 2 months I may well decided to do it permanently at some point in the future.
This is why we must rapidly all stop using plastic.  I do not want to have to pick up plastic from my future beach every morning and I'd like to be sure that there are other proteins than lentils when I decide to forsake meat for good.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 365 (bis) : End!

Well this is it.  After 365 days my blog is finally coming to an end.  I know there have been ups and downs, good and bad, controversial an...