Tuesday 3 July 2018

Day 91: Football

First meat free day:
  • Lunch: Sashimi
  • Dinner: Taboulé, Tarama, Falafel, Spinach samosa, Humous, Greek Salad
  • Water
I know I wrote about the world cup a few weeks ago (#73) saying that my interest was limited because it was being held in Russia.  In fact I have let myself be drawn into the spirit of the game and I watched a few matches or parts of matches.  There are two things that stand out for me and keep me interested:
  1. Football is known as the beautiful game and I have to agree that it is easily the best sport to watch.  The rules are clear and simple, there is constant movement and scoring is sufficiently difficult to be exciting.  Although I was never much of a football player preferring rugby, basketball, tennis or cricket, I can still appreciate that football is a more interesting game to watch than any of my favourite sports.
  2. It is probably the most democratic sport that exists.  Players come from all sorts of backgrounds, not only socially but also ethnically.  Teams especially the best ones are composed of the best possible players nobody cares where they came from.  In the present times I find it fitting that neither Italy nor the USA (whose immigration policies are a disgrace) even qualified for the world cup.  In football nobody cares who you are or were you come from or even who you support.  Fans of losing team stay interested till the end and find other teams  to support.  Even though it is a competition at the end of the day it is a communal experience which bring people together.
Allez la France  or Brazil or Belgium or even England 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 365 (bis) : End!

Well this is it.  After 365 days my blog is finally coming to an end.  I know there have been ups and downs, good and bad, controversial an...