Tuesday 17 July 2018

Day 105: Name

Dinner:
  • Cocktail sans alcool
  • Salade verte avec râpé de carottes
  • Sole au four sur julienne de poivrons
  • Moshi au thé vert
As I watched France win the World Cup last Sunday and witnessed the hero worship of these footballers and in particular of Mbappé I was thinking to myself that probably there will be lots of Kylian's born in France this year.  Actually it then made me think about names and naming conventions.  In a big chunk of the world names include a first name (which is chosen by the parents) and a family name which is often the father's name or a combination of the father's and mother's name.  But I wonder what is the point of this constraint.  Why do we need a minimum of 2 names ?  Why should our last name be the sames as our Parents? and why are we stuck with a name chosen by our Parents ?  Surely this is an unacceptable restraint on our freedom of choice?  Although I'm content with most of my (4) names I think I would have liked to have had the option of replacing or choosing some of my own. On reaching 18 everyone should have to confirm their name(s) or choose their own through a simple procedure (for example when you are put on the electoral roll).  Then again if I think back to when I was 18 my name now would probably be Fabien Wodehouse Blueberry Jurdant, probably not a massive improvement!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 365 (bis) : End!

Well this is it.  After 365 days my blog is finally coming to an end.  I know there have been ups and downs, good and bad, controversial an...