Friday 6 July 2018

Day 94: Alcohol

In Europe and America drinking alcohol (wine, beer or spirits) is seen as a normal thing to do especially in social occasions.  In most cases if you say no to any kind of alcoholic drink at a dinner or party people will ask you if there is something wrong with you or if there is a special reason.  As you may have noticed in some of my menus I myself am partial to an occasional drink of whisky or wine.  And yet I realise that alcohol is:
  1. Unhealthy
  2. Fattening
  3. Expensive
I'm at an age where I certainly don't drink to get drunk or even slightly tipsy.  In fact I drink mainly because I'm used to it and possibly because it is the social thing to do.  I'm not sure either of these are good reasons.  So in order to go from drinking out of habit to drinking erratically I have decided to do a dry July and August (It seems that I have decided to cram all my new year's resolutions into one year). I'm sure I'll appreciate my future occasional drinks all the more.  The world alcohol market represents $4 billion a day.  If the world decided to not drink alcohol one day a month we would collectively save $50 billion a year.  

1 comment:

  1. 'we' 'gave' 'them' alcohol... 'they' 'gave' 'us' tobacco... 'we' hold the two substances in high esteem... so did 'they'... what's the point of that?

    ReplyDelete

Day 365 (bis) : End!

Well this is it.  After 365 days my blog is finally coming to an end.  I know there have been ups and downs, good and bad, controversial an...