Thursday 5 July 2018

Day 93: IQ

I had lunch in a small restaurant with my dad and my daugther (see My dad's blog).  In keeping with my meatless summer I ordered the fried octopus with salad which came highly recommended. During the course of the meal conversation roamed from the high intelligence of octopi (?) through blogging,  to the ideal education system (which seems to be the absence of system). I mention this not because we were debating educating octopuses (I checked) but because Sasha mentioned that she had some friends who have stopped eating them because they are deemed to be highly intelligent.  I find it interesting that IQ is used as a food classification system.  Clearly fruits and vegetables can be eaten as nobody has ever debated the relative intelligence of carrots or bananas.  The difficulty comes with higher life forms.  We are probably safe eating snails and oysters but what should we do with tuna, salmon, sheep, cows or rabbits?  Even more complicated: pigs (supposedly highly intelligent), dogs (eaten in Asia), cats (eaten when very hungry), horses (eaten in France).  Finally we come to dolphins which are universally admired and praised for their intelligence but are eaten in Japan.   I'm not sure that IQ is the right indicator for making diet decisions.  

2 comments:

  1. foresters now know that trees are social creatures (1)... microbiologists now know that microbes are social creatures (2)... and scientists researching any creature in between the big and the small now know that his or her object of observation is extremely connected to a bunch of other organisms... all those creatures act as if they are well informed and take deliberate actions to what is happening in their surroundings... as if they are rational... not to say as if they are human... or the other way around, as if human beings are not much wiser than all other lifeforms... so, we have to accept that eating is killing highly sophisticated life, very often, cereals, in its prenatal form... so, praying for forgiveness before eating and thanksgiving after a meal is highly recommended...

    1 Wohlleben, Peter (September 2016). The Hidden Life of Trees. Vancouver, Canada: Greystone. ISBN 978-1-771-64248-4
    2 Ed Yong, I contain multitudes, Vintage Publishing, ISBN 9781784700171, september 2017

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that Fred.. I can go back to eating spare ribs!

    ReplyDelete

Day 365 (bis) : End!

Well this is it.  After 365 days my blog is finally coming to an end.  I know there have been ups and downs, good and bad, controversial an...