Wednesday 16 May 2018

Day 43: Religion

Today was a fasting day which I maintained despite being invited to lunch by a client and to dinner by a colleague! I'm ready for the working breakfast I have booked for tomorrow.

Recent events around the world and in particular in Israel have brought religion to the fore.  In addition my dad mentions it in his blog today (which allows me to do some sterobloggin: Dedalus), so I thought this would be a good time to chip in my 2 cents worth.  Most people who know me, may have realised that not only am I a publicly declared atheist but I am also fundamentally opposed to all organised religion (I'm not sure there is another kind).  One of the most intriguing things to me is the total contradiction between the existence of god and the practise of religion.  Surely anybody should be able to see that the arbitrary and quite pointless rules on which most religions are founded are indications of humanity rather than divinity.

If there is god, it (not he or she)  is generally considered to be all knowing, all seeing and quite wise, so why on earth (or in heaven) would it request us to eat fish on a Friday, refrain from eating Oysters at all and eat only at night during a 40 day period ? Why would it expect us to refrain from deriving pleasure from our sexual activity ?

So the day all religions disappear from the world is the day I might start believing there is a god and my prayers have been answered.

As I had a long day, its late and Fianna is waiting for me to come to bed (well actually she's sleeping soundly) I will keep my further thoughts on this topic for another day.




1 comment:

  1. "so why on earth (or in heaven) would it request us to eat fish on a Friday, refrain from eating Oysters at all and eat only at night during a 40 day period ?"

    ... or fasting 2 days a week...

    You know the answer :)

    ++
    Jérôme

    ReplyDelete

Day 365 (bis) : End!

Well this is it.  After 365 days my blog is finally coming to an end.  I know there have been ups and downs, good and bad, controversial an...