Tuesday 22 May 2018

Day 49 : Boss

Recently I have been having issues with my boss who happens to be the CEO of the company I work for.  Aside from the fact that she is inconsistent, obtuse and long winded the main problem I have is that she is absolutely incapable of accepting any form of dissent whether from me or others.   It seems to me that the concept of a "boss" is probably outdated.  I think organisations whether public or private could be better managed through a partnership or committee structure.  I've mentioned before the fact that I don't believe we need a Head of State, I think we could extend that to Prime Minister, Mayor, CEO or  any other Executive Function.  Isn't there a saying that two heads are better than one ?  If that is true why would we ever delegate decision making to a single person?  Aside from the fact that I think confrontation of multiple points of view should result in better decisions, I also believe it would be easier to question the decisions of a group rather than an individual.  An individual can easily take things personally and will refuse to admit being wrong while a group is by definition more fluid. Different people take different positions or sides at different times.

So here is another step in my journey to the communal utopia.  Just before Theo and Eliot get any ideas I am quite clear that there should be an age limit before this communal decision making  is implemented. So no ice creams everyday for desert and no upgrading to the latest smartphone every 6 months! 

1 comment:

  1. Two heads may be better than one but in the last instance one head takes the decision. An organisation is much like a body. If it should coordinate well, the head leads and the body follows. If your arm or your belly or your pelvis start leading, movements become uncoordinated, tedious and disgraceful. I would love to discuss this idea with you more as I teach in a large pyramidal company. I observe that good communication is key to the functioning of a company especially if it wants to be democratic. I’d be interested in working with CEO’s but I need information from people with more experience, like yourself. Lets put that theme on our xmas discussions list:)

    ReplyDelete

Day 365 (bis) : End!

Well this is it.  After 365 days my blog is finally coming to an end.  I know there have been ups and downs, good and bad, controversial an...