Sunday 31 March 2019

Day 361: Carbon

Today Theo suggested that we should stop buying any beef and cow milk as the raising of cows worldwide is becoming a major environmental issue.  In addition I recently read an article on the problem linked to disposing of cow pooh which is full of methane and is harmful to rivers and lakes.  The idea that as it is "natural" it can be used as fertilizer is a fantasy.  It seems there are now lakes of the stuff in certain areas of the US as farmers don't know what to do with it.  The problem is that its not just milk and beef that we should stop eating, it would also include butter, cheese and cream.  I decided to look at my individual carbon footprint to see what it would take for me to stay within acceptable levels.  It seems that if everyone lived like me we would need 2 Earths to be sustainable.  Its depressing because I don't feel I'm a big meat eater, I don't use a car, Our apartment isn't huge and is well insulated and I don't buy that much "stuff".  If I need to divide my overall consumption by two that seems challenging to say the least. The worst part is that most of my excess carbon footprint is mainly linked to flying (for work and holidays).

I guess I need to become unemployed to save the planet!

4 more posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 365 (bis) : End!

Well this is it.  After 365 days my blog is finally coming to an end.  I know there have been ups and downs, good and bad, controversial an...