Thursday 14 March 2019

Day 344: Foreign

Yesterday Louis pointed out to me that he doesn't really understand the concept of Foreign.  What he meant was that he doesn't see himself as a foreigner when he is living in a country.  When he is in Paris he is Parisian, in London a Londoner and in Montreal a Montrealer (?).  I'm sure that he would feels the same anywhere he happens to live and I would be surprised if Sasha doesn't feel the same way.   I think the whole concept of Foreign should be removed from our collective consciousness.  We could remove the word from the dictionary as a start.  People don't see themselves as foreign when they move from one area to another inside a town or from one town to another inside a country.  Why do we need to label people as foreign ?  Its not a language thing since there are countries with multiple languages and there are multiple countries with the same language.  Its not a race thing since people of all races can share the same nationality.  Its not a distance thing look at Russia or Luxembourg.  A person is no more (or less) a foreigner to me if the live in Tokyo or in the flat underneath.

PS:

Well done to Aunt_C who pointed out my first reference to Brexit was in my very first Blog.

2 Points to the one who guesses whats my favourite film that takes place in Tokyo.

2 comments:

  1. The last guess here gives me little chance to compete. Your wife and kids have way better chances of knowing the answer than anyone else reading your blog. Unless of course, you mentioned it in a blog. Or might it by chance be... Lost in translation??

    ReplyDelete

Day 365 (bis) : End!

Well this is it.  After 365 days my blog is finally coming to an end.  I know there have been ups and downs, good and bad, controversial an...