Monday 25 February 2019

Day 327: Prize

Yesterday was the Oscars.  All sorts of prizes were awarded to a variety of people for being best "something in cinema".  I can't help wondering what the point of these prizes are ?  What is the validity of the process?  Why do we need someone to be named best actor of best director every year, especially as the winners are always controversial.  I have the same question around other prizes do we need a Nobel Prize, a Pulitzer or a Prix Goncourt ?  The people who win these prizes are usually well recognized in their field so why do they need further prizes ?  I don't believe these prizes serve a particular purpose or encourage particular behaviour (other than self promotion which I don't think is the point).  Let's leave prizes to sport and agree that other forms of human activity don't necessarily need to be competitions.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 365 (bis) : End!

Well this is it.  After 365 days my blog is finally coming to an end.  I know there have been ups and downs, good and bad, controversial an...