Sunday 3 February 2019

Day 304 : Papa

Today was my Dad's birthday.  As he happens to be in Paris he and Isabel are coming round to the house tomorrow for a birthday lunch, also with Ruben.   My Dad was a key figure in building my intellectual curiosity and self esteem.   Irrespective of my grades, occasional laziness and utter failure at French grammar I never felt anything but complete confidence in my capabilities and total support for anything I wanted to do in life (as long as it was becoming a Historian of Science - Sorry Dad).  My Parents were quite young when I was born so by the time I was 5 they were still Students intent on remaking the world.  I remember learning at an early age that if I stayed quiet I could stay up late at the dinner table and listen to my Dad and his friends have long discussions into the night about politics and society.  Later when we were living in England every evening after dinner my Dad and I would have wide ranging conversations as he would wash-up and I would dry the dishes.  Later when I was a teenager I remember my Dad coming home to dinner and talking about his research (he was writing his second doctoral thesis at the time) discussing his latest discoveries and thoughts.  As I grew older, in my late teens and early twenties I appreciated how non judgemental he was, especially when I started bringing girls home.  I never felt that my Dad disapproved of my friends or girlfriends whatever he may have thought of them.  I hope that some of that has rubbed off on me.

So thanks Dad for having given me the self-confidence that comes of being unique and the humility to realise that everyone is unique.

PS: Also "Thanks" for introducing me to cold showers.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 365 (bis) : End!

Well this is it.  After 365 days my blog is finally coming to an end.  I know there have been ups and downs, good and bad, controversial an...