Wednesday 20 February 2019

Day 322: Assessment

Many organisations private or public feel they need to have Formal Employee Assessment Systems.  I mention this because my company recently decided to introduce such a system.  I have worked for many different types of organisations in my life and I have never come across a HR evaluation system which  added any value.  The idea people can be assessed through forms, formal interviews and self criticisms is totally bonkers (to use a technical term).  In most cases these assessments start with a self analysis each employee is expected to come up with their strength and weaknesses, things they could improve upon, training needs etc.  In general this is an exercise in how creative you can be in showcasing your achievements and inventing weaknesses that are actually hidden strengths.  I cannot imagine that these forms and processes are used in any useful way.  Promotions and salary rises are always based on "management discussions".  In these discussions nobody ever looks at the forms what you have is people who are in favour, people who are against and some who are uncommitted at the end of the day the manager who is most convinced carries the day.  If we want to increase productivity at work: Stop measuring it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 365 (bis) : End!

Well this is it.  After 365 days my blog is finally coming to an end.  I know there have been ups and downs, good and bad, controversial an...