Thursday 31 January 2019

Day 302: Flashball

Calories Today: 599

I am not a fan of the French Yellow Jacket movement which seems to have no clear goals and includes a wide variety of demonstrators with was shocked by the differing agendas some of which are quite unpleasant.  However I am increasingly shocked by the state's response.  It's bad enough that we have riot police with body armour, special vehicles, water canons and truncheons, there has also been widespread use of Flash-Balls and other "non lethal" projectile weapons.  The Flash-balls which can main or severely injure people have been use close to 10,000 time since the start of the Gilets Jaune movement.  Although these weapons shouldn't kill you they can easily maim  people.  I find it unacceptable and completely counterproductive that the police are allowed to use weapons against their own citizens. As I mentioned a few days ago concerning Venezuela if the state has to resort to violence against its own citizens it loses its legitimacy. I accept that in our society as it is organised at present we need to have "security" forces to contain occasional extremes of anger in demonstrations but I dispute the fact that is necessary to arm these forces.  My future programme of government will include the disarmament of all police forces in the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 365 (bis) : End!

Well this is it.  After 365 days my blog is finally coming to an end.  I know there have been ups and downs, good and bad, controversial an...