Sunday 17 June 2018

Day 75: Father's Day

I am happy to report that neither of my children (or of my step children) wished me a Happy Father's Day today.  It gives me great pleasure to see that some of my educational lessons seem to have stuck (admittedly teaching your children not to do something is a lot easier than teaching them to do stuff).  I have mentioned in a previous post ( #35) that I am not a fan of Religious Holidays, however,  I find these commercial holidays even worse.  Father's Day, Mother's day, Valentine's Day, International Woman's Day, Second Cousin Day, etc.  Why do we need a mandated day to celebrate or be thankful to certain categories of people?  Surely if I were to celebrate Father's or Mother's Day shouldn't it be on the day they became a Mother and Father (i.e. my birthday) ? Do we really need further excuses to buy each other useless stuff ?(presents on those days are most definitely the least useful of the year) If we really need extra days to express our love and gratitude for life, lets get rid of the consumerist ones and instead let's celebrate our planet.  There is already an Earth day (22 April for those of you who didn't know - like me) let's publicise it and add a bunch more:

  • Ocean Day
  • Forest Day
  • River Day
  • Mountain Day
  • Animal Day
  • Insect Day
  • Atmosphere Day
I'm sure your getting the idea.  

2 comments:

  1. Happy late father’s day, dad! I’m sending you a tie as I’m writing this

    ReplyDelete

Day 365 (bis) : End!

Well this is it.  After 365 days my blog is finally coming to an end.  I know there have been ups and downs, good and bad, controversial an...