Friday 1 June 2018

Day 59: Dilemma

Dinner (with guest):

  • Whisky Gordon & McPhail
  • Emincé de veau (merci Ratoune) aux carottes et champignons à la crème
  • Riz
  • Salade verte 
  • Fromages (pardon Maman - 2ème protéine) et pain aux noix
  • Moshi au citron
  • Carré de chocolat noir 85%
At Xmas last year I was in Strasbourg and at the end of the meal we all had to say (thanks Fianna) what we wanted for the next year.  I said that I hoped to be in the same professional position next year as I was back then.  It's now half way through the year and I must say that my ambition is looking increasingly precarious. There are a number of possibilities:
  1. I get fired
  2. I resign
  3. My boss (the company CEO)  is fired
  4. My company goes into liquidation
  5. My company is sold
  6. I get demoted (and some one is put between me and my CEO)
This last one is definitely my favourite option (well actually my favourite option is number 3 with me replacing her). What do you do if you feel your boss is a lunatic ?  I have a lot of sympathy for people who work for Trump (Although they should have known what they were getting into whereas there was no way  I could know).    I am in complete disagreement with everything my boss does.  She treats all her managers like children, new people are stars for 3 months and then they are deemed incapable.  Over the last 3 years she has participated in the constant  destruction of the company but its all because people are not doing what she says!  My descent from stardom is now accelerating because I pointed out a few things that I felt were dysfunctional in the company (that is my job for clients).

As you may know, I have quite strong opinions and don't have a problem expressing them.   However, every time my boss asks her directors to express their views or opinions what she really means: could you repeat what I just said as if you believed it.   Any other response is deemed disloyal and offensive.  So there are three strategies:
  1. Vocal disagreement
  2. Silent agreement or disagreement (doesn't matter as long as its silent)
  3. Vocal agreement
Most of my fellow directors have opted for option 3 even though they tell me in private they don't agree.  I have tried 1 which did not work and 2 which I find difficult but is not deemed loyal enough. I can't do 3 so how do I refrain from going back to 1 long enough to keep me in this job to the end of the year?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 365 (bis) : End!

Well this is it.  After 365 days my blog is finally coming to an end.  I know there have been ups and downs, good and bad, controversial an...