Saturday 9 June 2018

Day 67: Formal

We were invited to a pink themed party tonight.  To Fianna's chagrin after hesitating 10 seconds I decided to opt for a pinkish polo shirt rather one of my formal pink dress shirts. I felt I had already made a major concession by switching from my weekend shorts to casual trousers.  I must say that I can only encourage  the spirit of informality which increasingly prevalent everywhere.  I hardly ever wear a tie anymore, suits are quite rare and usually I can get away with just a jacket.  I don't really understand the concept of formal attire.  Why shouldn't we wear jeans or shorts to work? And why should we wear black or brown leather shoes rather than sneakers ? (are we saying vegans can't have serious jobs?)  I think that formal or professional attire is designed to make people take their themselves more seriously, which is probably not something I would encourage.  Most of the problems in this world can be traced back to people taking themselves too seriously.  I have a feeling that international negotiations would be a lot friendlier and productive if everybody turned up in sandals, jeans and t-shirts. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 365 (bis) : End!

Well this is it.  After 365 days my blog is finally coming to an end.  I know there have been ups and downs, good and bad, controversial an...