Friday 15 June 2018

Day 73: World Cup

Dinner with guests:

  • Salade folle
  • Fillet de bar au four avec courgettes et fenouil
  • Purée de céleri
  • Fromages
  • Tarte aux framboises
On the opposite corner of our house there is a bar which sometimes stays open quite late.  As tonight was quite hot in Paris we left our windows open during dinner.  At regular intervals we heard a roar float up form the street as Spain and Portugal battled it out to a 3-3 draw in what must have been an exciting match.  Our guest asked me if I was into football, and I answered that while not being a fan I have often followed the world cup with some interest.  Having said that I must say that the fact that the tournament is taking place in Russia this year has definitely dampened my already moderate enthusiasm.  I guess that answers the question about whether I'm a football fan or not.  I cannot separate the event from the organizer and I feel that showing an interest would be a betrayal of my liberal values (a bit like taking an interest in the German Olympic Games of 1936).  Still I might tune in to the France-Australia match tomorrow... 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 365 (bis) : End!

Well this is it.  After 365 days my blog is finally coming to an end.  I know there have been ups and downs, good and bad, controversial an...