Friday 27 April 2018

Day 24: Conversion?

Today we visited St Peter's Cathedral.  First we climbed 552 steps to the top.  It's funny how with all these monuments the first instinct is always to climb to the top, even though its actually the worst place to see the building itself from.  Then we proceeded to visit the church itself.     As I was walking around the different areas of what is after all one of the great religious centres of the world my phone rang and I saw it was an unknown German number.  As it happens this was a key person (let's call him Pierre) in a large french multinational.  We have been talking to them for a few weeks with the expectation that at some point in the future we might be able to sell them a project, we felt we were still in the early stages of our discussions.  Pierre, told me that things were now progressing quickly and he needed  a price that same day for a Phase 1 project as they were going to make a decision in a few days.  I have to say I was completely surprised by this "miraculous" outcome.  If this is what happens when I go to St Peter's maybe I should consider moving my office to the Vatican (or I could go to Notre Dame and see what happens there).  It's a good thing my non-faith is extremely firm, or I might soon be confessing my sins and going to mass every Sunday.  It's extraordinary how the human mind is programmed to try to "explain" events rather than accept them as random and arbitrary.  Many founding human concepts (Religion, Science, Justice, Fairness, Truth, Love) are based on the idea that there is a cause and effect. Natural or Supernatural humans want to feel there is a reason why things happen.  Accepting the total randomness of things is not an acceptable choice.

Having said that maybe I should try a visit to the Wailing wall and Mecca this year in order to cement my position as an outstanding Consulting Managing Director.

I finally lost a round of the Hunger Game this evening!  All for an extra Bruschetta with  Tomatoes, Garlic and Olives ... It was worth it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 365 (bis) : End!

Well this is it.  After 365 days my blog is finally coming to an end.  I know there have been ups and downs, good and bad, controversial an...