Wednesday 18 April 2018

Day 15: Germany

I spent the day in Germany today so I'll spare you my list of meals. (I moved my 2nd fasting day to tomorrow as I had lunch with a client today). 

I spent most of the day in a salami factory,  the most fascinating thing is watching the robots which pick and place salami at different stages of the process at incredible speed (400 salamis are picked and placed in their packaging per minute!)

After this meeting which was close to Nuremberg I drove to Frankfurt where I have another client meeting tomorrow morning.  It was a 2 and half hour drive through the countryside.  The reason I mention this is that I was stunned by the number of solar panels and wind farms that I noticed.  In some villages up to a third of house had solar panels on their roofs and there was an impressive number of fields which had become solar instead of agricultural lands.  On the one hand I applaud this embrace of renewable energy (mainly due to the German Government's decision to stop all nuclear energy by 2021) on the other hand I have to say that it makes for quite ugly country-side and villages.

In parallel to our technical efforts in efficient solar panels I think we need to start working on the aesthetics.  We need solar panels that look like roof tiles, bricks, or sunflowers (for fields).


4 comments:

  1. Oh no I fasted today and don’t get points because I wasn’t in sync. Not that I care about the points, but it’s nice to know we’re fasting together .. you have to warn us a day before when you change your Eating patterns !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry. Will try to warn you next time

    ReplyDelete
  3. Couldn't agree more

    ReplyDelete
  4. https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-11-14/germany-is-burning-too-much-coal

    Tesla sells solar roof tiles. Fun fact: It now take two years or less for a modern solar panel to pay off its carbon debt

    ReplyDelete

Day 365 (bis) : End!

Well this is it.  After 365 days my blog is finally coming to an end.  I know there have been ups and downs, good and bad, controversial an...