Monday 28 January 2019

Day 299: Films

Calorie count for the day: 582

On Saturday we went to the cinema with Theo and Eliot to see Green Book.  The film is about a Black Piano virtuoso who hires an Italian-American bouncer as a chauffeur for a tour of the Southern States in 1962.  It a nicely done film mainly about the relationship between the two men but of course with segregation omnipresent in the background.  During the film the two men interact with a wide variety of racists and it made me wonder what do these people think when they go to the cinema?  The film and TV industry is full of liberals (in the American sense of the word).  I would argue that a huge preponderance of films espouse a liberal and generous point of view.  I don't think I have ever seen a film where hateful values triumph.  So if everyone is seeing films where bullying, oppression and exploitation are deemed  to be "bad" why is this not percolating faster throughout society ?  Are there movie goers who identify with the slave owner or the fascist cop ? I find that hard to believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 365 (bis) : End!

Well this is it.  After 365 days my blog is finally coming to an end.  I know there have been ups and downs, good and bad, controversial an...