Friday 25 January 2019

Day 296 : Numbers

I mentioned a few months ago that I sold a big project (which probably saved my job at the time). At the time the client asked how much time I would personally spend on it, and I responded whatever was needed.  As it happens I have spent quite a bit of time on it and especially building an excel model, which is something I really enjoy.  There are two things that I believe I'm particularly good at in my work:
  • Identifying and communicating an issue and a solution (Negotiating)
  • Simplifying and identifying trends in numbers (Modelling)
The balance of my career has been more on the first one which means that I miss the numbers side.  There is something inherently satisfying in making large amounts of numbers get organised and tell a story.  When I see my colleagues or clients struggling with unwieldy, complicated and untidy spreadsheets I feel like just telling them to let me do it properly for them.  I wonder if I could have a second career in numbers ? After all in the old days there were "public letter writers" so I could set myself up as a "public excel modeller".

No comments:

Post a Comment

Day 365 (bis) : End!

Well this is it.  After 365 days my blog is finally coming to an end.  I know there have been ups and downs, good and bad, controversial an...