Wednesday 2 January 2019

Day 273 : Bet

Fianna and I went out to dinner with some friends this evening.  One of them was American and happened to be a Trump/Sanders supporter (yes interesting combination).  Anyway, during our conversation we talked about what might happen in 2020.  Many people including on the left feel that Trump could well win again, but I don't agree.  As Abraham Lincoln is quoted as saying "You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time".  Despite all evidence, I believe that enough people will rely on the facts and their senses rather than their beliefs and resoundingly send Trump packing when the time comes.   In order to back up my views I have agreed to a bet on the outcome of the 2020 election. The stake of the bet is honour rather than cash.  It made me realise that betting is actually a way of acknowledging defeat of rational argument.  Since I haven't convinced you with my argument I will propose a bet to try to scare you in agreeing with me.  Whoever loses the bet has to wear a hat and shirt given by the winner for a week.  I hope my counterparty is oblivious to ridicule!   

2 comments:

  1. Although 2019 will be a huge headache for Trump since the Dems will launch more investigations, it doesn't seem as though Trump's 41% approval rating will go too much lower. And so far I don't see any of the potential democratic front-runners (Joe Biden, Elizabeth Warren, Kamala Harris, Cory Booker) beating him. Then again neither Trump, nor Obama were expected to win their party nomination, so I'm hopeful a fresh face will win the nomination and beat Trump (possibly Beto O'Rourke or Sherrod Brown). If forced to make a decision now, I'll side with you in this bet because it's possible someone unexpected - and less disliked, and thus a trickier target for Trump to attack - will win the nomination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's good Ruben. Always good to be on the winning side!

    ReplyDelete

Day 365 (bis) : End!

Well this is it.  After 365 days my blog is finally coming to an end.  I know there have been ups and downs, good and bad, controversial an...