Tuesday 2 April 2019

Day 363: Offset

Its Tuesday night and I left Paris on Sunday afternoon taking a train to Amsterdam then I drove 3 hours to Essen near Bremen in Germany the next day Monday I drove 2 hours to Hamburg. Finally today I flew to Paris this morning and flew back to Hamburg this evening and then I will fly back to Paris on Friday morning.  In one week I will have generated at least 250Kg of CO2 when the individual target to  combat climate change is 40Kg per week. As I can't change jobs in the short term I need to offset my excess carbon generation.  Luckily there are  all sorts of projects to which you can give money to plant trees or otherwise offset your CO2 emission.  I'm not a fan of just sending a check, so I worked out what I need to do:
  1. Assuming I will live to a 100
  2. My full life of CO2 emissions will probably represent around 800 Tons
  3. I need 2 trees to absorb 1 ton of CO2
That means that if I want my presence on this earth to have been carbon neutral I need to plant 1,600 trees, lets call it 2,000 to be safe.  So my next project will be to work out where I can buy enough land (preferably for a low price) to be able to plant 2000 trees!

Suggestions and offers welcome



2 more posts

2 comments:

  1. Have you heard of ecosia? It's a search engine like google that spends most of its advertising profits on tree planting projects in places like the western Sahel, where communities can really benefit from the jobs and better soil these projects offer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You planted one in Prefailles long ago. With an amazing fertilizer ;) so 1999 would be enough. Sadly, it was bulldozed and replaced by a house. So 2000 it is

    ReplyDelete

Day 365 (bis) : End!

Well this is it.  After 365 days my blog is finally coming to an end.  I know there have been ups and downs, good and bad, controversial an...